Saturday, February 09, 2013

Chapter 8: The China Man Who Married a Dusun - 2

This Friday, I met another uncle of mine, Wesley Dungko Pai in Kampong Ponohuon, Kiulu. He is the eldest son of Dungko Gumpai, a brother of my grandmother. He told us that he had decided to change the naming system of the Dungko's clan beginning from his generation by adopting the surname Pai, a short form for Gumpai. From him, we were told more about my grandfather.

6 4' 46.01"N, 116 17' 8.27"E
The house is situated next to the spectacular
upstream of Tuaran River
With Uncle Wesley Pai & his wife Jainah.
According to Uncle Wesley, my grandfather worked as a carpenter, In fact, he was acknowledged to be one of the best carpenters in Menggatal area and his service was sought even in Jesselton (now renamed Kota Kinabalu). He was so well known and was even  recruited to do some of the upkeep of the Atkinson Clock Tower. His carpentry skill was also passed on to his son, my uncle, Yee Tshan Fah or Ah Tai, another name he was known by his peers. My uncle also turned out to be a good carpenter and similarly, he was recruited later on for the repair and restoration of the Clock Tower.

With regards to the "romance" of my grandfather and my grandmother, Uncle Wesley was brief about it because he probably did not have the whole story.

In those days, the Gumpai's stayed in Kampong Lumpoho, a remote region in the Crocker mountain range. Occasionally, they would gather their tobacco, herbs and other tradable local produce and brought them to the coastal and more "urban" area in exchange for salted fish, clothing, stone wares, salt, sugar etc in the tamu ground. Making such a trip was no easy matter. Sometimes, they had to be away for weeks.
"In those long-ago days, the only mode of transport was one's two good legs and everyone went barefoot. Walking up and down the Crocker Range while loaded with heavy rattan wakid (big rattan and bark basket used for carrying goods) was no small feat because sometimes only narrow footpaths existed. In many places, one wrong move could mean a quick tumble to the bottom of the valley....... Safety was also a grave concern as the travelers could be waylaid by headhunters from the enemy villages. Traders usually traveled in big groups to lesson the risk of parting with heads on the way to and from the tamu grounds" - Abstracted from "Footprints in the Paddy Fields" by Tina Kisil.

After numerous trips to Menggatal, my grandmother decided to relocate from Lumpoho to Menggatal. In 1926, she moved and settled down in Pulutan.

It was told that my grandfather who worked as a carpenter in Menggatal got to know this Dusun lady, Lotimboi. As far as the marriage proposal, I was unable to find out the exact procedure involved. Was there an intermediary appointed to convey the proposal? Did my grandfather approach the brothers or sisters of Lotimboi? Or did my grandfather go directly to his lady and propose personally? The fact is: She did agree  to marry this China man.

3 comments:

Gerard Yee said...

My mother and myself often visit Pak Po in her kampong house. At aged 75, she still climb 30 feet coconut tree to plug its fruit. When shedd passed away I was there too. It was 7:00 night ...

Anonymous said...

I have known Wesley since I was a little child in Tenghilan where he was a teacher at that time. Many years later, when I was already in my forties, I visited Dungko and Wesley at Dungko's home in Malanggang (or was it Kiulu), because I wanted to get their stories about Lumpoho (my father was born there and moved to Kionsom when he was a boy). An interesting little tidbit I got from them was that it was a tradition of Lumpoho to have names that start with G. Hence, Gumpai, Gabandok, Gubenggon, Gimbang, Gusunod, Gulimbang, Gudingking, and so on. Many people apparently chose to shed the G after relocating to the lowland, which I thought was sad.

Unknown said...

my grandparents😘miss them so much